Hello! I hope you've had a good weekend. Thank you for your comments recently; I'm mostly feeling better now. We are heading into the silly season now that the school year is almost finished and my head is already spinning just a little bit. There are three weeks left, and they are jam-packed with activities, performances and recitals, not to mention a few medical tests and appointments for the LB (he's on a thrice-yearly schedule and we've come back around again). I'm keeping calm, for the most part; I like to be busy, as you know, and most of this stuff is fun. It's hard to believe we're back here again, though; wasn't it just August, the start of a brand-new school year? Time is kicking my butt, apparently. I may be a little scarce in blogland for the next few weeks, but I'll do my best to keep up with reading yours and updating my own.
This weekend, in between finishing up school projects, attending the final guitar lessons before next week's recitals, and trying to get a little housework done, I managed to frame my latest cross-stitch project and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. The design is Retro Kitchen, from Stitchrovia on Etsy, and it's meant to look like retro kitchenware items in a sampler layout. I first saw this design a couple of years ago and fell in love with it; I knew it would be a nice addition to my own retro-flavored kitchen decor. I sure do love old kitchen things.
Do you ever frame your own stitching? I do it sometimes, mostly to save money. I won't pretend to be good enough to write a tutorial, but I think I do it well enough to work, if that makes sense. I figure that if I do some of them myself, then I will feel better about having the others done professionally. It's all about balance, for me. This project felt like one I could do myself; the fabric is basic 14-count Aida, not linen, and the design area fits nicely in a basic 8-by-10 wooden frame (which I ordered from Amazon). I started by ironing my piece (on a clean towel, with the back facing up), spritzing with plain water to help steam the wrinkles out.
The Bear was very helpful to me in the framing process. He likes doing this kind of thing, or maybe he's just being nice; either way, it was good to have him on hand. He used an X-Acto knife to trim a piece of cardboard to slightly smaller than the frame size, to leave room for the fabric thickness around the edges of the cardboard. Then I wrapped the fabric tightly around the cardboard and tucked it all in neatly at the back, taping the edges down to make it flat. I have done this a few different ways before, sometimes using pins all around the sides, or doing big basting stitches with a needle and doubled thread across the back in both directions, but wide packing tape worked well. Maybe not the most elegant framing job, but okay. My next linen piece will get more pampering.
He didn't seem to be trying to get away very quickly, so I had him help me hang it too. He is a victim of love.
While we're in the kitchen, I wanted to show you my vintage-potholder display, which is on the wall perpendicular to the one with the window where I hung the sampler (you're looking through to the dining room and living room here; the big window above is at the front of the house). I was given two more potholders for Christmas and I recently added them to the original four I had hanging here. Most of them came from Etsy, but I found the smallest round potholder (the one at about nine o'clock) in a local antiques mall. They're all old, from the 1940's or 50's, and all are hand-crocheted. They're all gently used, which I really love. I like to imagine the people who made them, and used them, long before they came to me.
There are so many beautiful vintage potholders out there, but I'm trying to limit my collection to ones made in red and white, to go along with the color scheme in my kitchen. I have a strawberry theme and lots of red. Green seems to come with the territory where the rosy potholders are concerned and I like that too. I was trying to crochet some of my own, you may recall, but I have so much trouble crocheting with thread. Gosh, it's just really hard for me and they look very messy. I will keep trying; it would be really nice to have a few of my own up there too. I think I'll feel very accomplished when I finally master thread-crochet. I'll certainly enjoy the pretty potholders.
Thanks again for the thoughts you've shared lately. I'm glad you liked my seedling color palettes; if you haven't tried PicMonkey for photo editing or collage-making, I recommend it highly. I hope you have a good week. Hello and welcome, new readers and followers!