Monday, January 19, 2015
Yesterday, I began working on a crocheted potholder to add to my kitchen wall. I have four vintage potholders, all from different places, and I plan to add more. I want to make a few myself. I've been pinning patterns and filling up my Ravelry library too. The potholders I already have are made with cotton thread. I decided to make mine with thread, as opposed to thicker yarn, for consistency. Last week, there was a sale - half off all crochet thread. But the selection was poor and I ended up with acrylic thread because there were so few choices left in the cotton. Thus began a really challenging project. Thread crochet is difficult! The thread is tiny. The stitches are tiny. My tension is too loose, in large part because my smallest hook is still too big. The crochet is curling and lumpy and I can't even block it. I don't like the shininess, or the crinkly feeling. I think it would look like an old rag hanging on my wall.
For all that, I'm enjoying myself. I'm using this pattern - a real vintage one from 1948. I think thread crochet is a lost art. The doilies, the clothing, the bedspreads! The potholder pattern is very similar to one of my vintage potholders. I like knowing that lots of people have made this pattern before me and that the same potholder has graced many, many kitchens. I've always loved to look at photos of forties and fifties kitchens. I try to bring a little of that style to my own kitchen. I like things old and kitschy. I want lots of potholders, going up the wall and over the doorway to the dining room. I'm going to stick with it. I ordered some cotton crochet thread online last night, reds and pinks and greens to match the kitchen and the vintage potholders. I'm going to keep working on the acrylic one, though. It's good practice. I can be patient - just think how long those potholders waited to find each other in my kitchen.